PERKERRA IRRIGATION SCHEME

Background Information

Perkerra Irrigation Scheme is situated 100 kms North of Nakuru near Marigat Township in Baringo South Sub-County. It derives its name from the River Perkerra, which is the source of irrigation water and the only permanent river in the region.
The construction of the scheme started in 1954 after several feasibility studies, which showed that the Perkerra plains were suitable for irrigation. The last study was done in 1936 but due to financial constraints construction was shelved until the “State of Emergency” period, when detainees provided labour for construction purposes. Marigat was one of the many detention camps in the country at that time.
Beneficiary population comprising of direct dependents is approximately 13,000 people. It also, indirectly, benefits the larger Baringo and including parts of Nakuru Counties.
Among all the Towns in Baringo County, Marigat is leading generator of revenue of about KES 54 million annually. This is attributed mainly to irrigated agriculture.

Image
Statistical Data

Location/County

Baringo County

Year of establishment

1956

Gazetted Area

5,800 acres

Main Crop

Seed Maize

Area under Irrigation

3,000 Acres

Source of irrigation water

River Perkerra

No. of household farmers

1,625 Households

Type of irrigation

Gravity fed open earth channel conveyance with open furrow application system

Other Crops

Water melon, onions and vegetables

Current Status
Projected benefits/ Benefits being realized

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.